by Webnme2 on Mar 4th 2014 in Gaming
This last weekend I had the joy of participating in a beta test of the Elder Scrolls Online. I compiled some notes for playing the game:
IF YOU DO PLAY ESO – ADVICE
1. Start out looting and scrapping everything out the environment you can
2. GO SLOW – you’ll miss stuff and be sorry later when you don’t advance as fast
3. Craft and build skills early
4. Explore every inch of territory – exploration is more important to XP than crafting, which in turn is more important than killing a creature or individual foe.
5. Do every quest you can – only quests trump exploration for XP
6. Find and use Skychards, Mundus Stones, Runes, etc. You get more skill points that way and get enchanted gear with the runes, which makes a huge difference
7. Leave a bad fight and come back when you are better prepared.
8. If you start loosing a fight, your armor will degrade when you get killed and get expensive to repair or replace. You are less and less likely to win and more and more likely to continue racking up expenses
9. Interact with every NPC
10. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OTHER PLAYERS – group kills and combat are better even if you don’t form an official group links – swarm mobbing a foe is awesomely better than hard fights
11. Join Fighter and Mage Guilds as soon as you can.
12. Works very nicely with keyboard and mouse and may be faster to play that way. Still works extremely well with controller using 3rd party emulation software.
13. You don’t want to open up the UI unless you are in a safe place like a wayshrine or in a town. You can get attacked and killed while reading a map very easily and quickly.
14. Sneak and ranged attacks are often better than melee in this game.
15. Special powers from skill points rule!!!!
16. When picking powers, make sure to have one or two that are stamina based and the rest magic. That way you can fire off an attack after magic is exhausted and recharging without having to wait and being limited to just a weapon.
17. Have at least a good staff, a good bow, and a good melee weapon at all times. Spare parts for armor are needed until you can fight well.
18. Repairs are made in towns and you may need to repair in the middle of a fight. Spares are essential for awhiule.
19. Use the banks to store crafting supplies and runes. Save inventory space for critical stuff and looting/exploiting the environment
20. Go to town and sell/bank often